Being pregnant can bring out all sorts of changes. Most are visible like growing a bump but this new weight gain can also cause balance issues. If you are a yogi, you already know that balance is key in yoga practice so we asked NYC yoga instructor, Emilie Smith, to give us some tips for dealing with the new aches and pains.
- Breath Control – Yoga breathing exercises increase oxygen flow and help you and your baby relax. Breath control is also beneficial for pain management during labor.
- Strength & Balance – Standing poses such as Warrior I, Warrior 2 and Tree Pose help build strength and balance. Strength is needed to support your growing belly and balance poses help you to adapt to your changing center of gravity.
- Low Back Relief – Low back pain is the most common issue in pregnancy. As your baby grows, practice poses such as pigeon and squat to open the hips and release pressure in the low back.
- Bonding Time for You and Your Baby – Yoga creates space in your body and mind which benefits both you and your baby. Dedicate your practice as a time to relax, tune inward and be in touch with your body.
- Labor Recovery – Yoga is an excellent way to get back in shape after you have your baby. Start with breathing exercises and gentle stretches until your doctor approves it is safe for you to begin a regular yoga practice. Develop a regular yoga practice as a way to nurture yourself as much as you nurture your new baby.
To schedule a private session with Emilie or see where she is teaching in NYC next, visit her site.